Wednesday, August 11, 2010

All Right, All Right

My post yesterday generated some responses, both in the comments and outside of them. Sandra pointed out, rightly, that others have different experiences in China than we've had. Allison pointed out that my issues derive more from the adoption process than from the particular location we're in -- that is to say, wherever we might have planted ourselves in Guangzhou in August, we'd still have to deal with a busy slate of bureaucratic appointments, a new two-year-old, and blazing heat and humidity. None of those are particularly conducive to a cultural travel bonanza.

Someone else pointed out that maybe I should just get over myself already and tone down the whining about how my trip to China isn't perfect, since a lot of readers won't ever come here at all. Fair point.

I can't change the fact that I've been to China a lot and that I'm not over fond of this particular speck-part of it. That's just the way it is, and hey, after all, you're here reading my blog, not the other way round, so the author gets some perks. Indulging himself is one of them.

But in deference to the brighter side of things, and in deference especially to my wife, who really wishes I would just smile a lot more and cut everything some slack, tomorrow's post will be all sweetness and light, raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, laughter and pixie dust and long walks on the beach. Gosh, it'll be grand.

Tune in then for the surefire hit All My Favorite Things About China (The Extended "This Trip Especially" Remix). I guarantee you'll be walking lighter, tapping your toes, turning your frown upside-down, and applying some fresh elbow grease to life's little snags.

Really. For realz.

By the way, we leave for Hong Kong tomorrow too. Two more days and we'll be home in Vermont! Much as I truly do love China, I love Vermont even more. Can't wait to be back. We had our "swearing in" ceremony at the U.S. Consulate today with dozens of other new adoptive families, a kind of pro forma affair where they tell you that you'll get your child's visa tomorrow and you have to raise your right hand and swear that everything you've ever said to anybody was the truth, and everyone applauds because they're so anxious to get out of here and go home.

Good times.

5 comments:

  1. its great posing as sandra, my comments get so much more consideration...and hey if you didn't want feedback to your blogging, i suspect you could turn off the comments?
    ..while I can't imagine how you could really deeply like or enjoy the adoptive experience, (sandra has decided she could not recommend it to anyone,) it's the residual we are all excited about.
    We are butchering capon today and brining them tomorrow, so you will have the finest food on the planet available to you. Sandra is starting the cooking this morning of various side dishes...travel well, kiss everyone for me..
    much love from kimball hill
    b

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, well said. sweet residue. and sweet capon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way, i love feedback. i wasn't trying to discourage anyone from feeding back, just defending my right to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you didn't get too much guff for your ramblings on the fortress. I, for one, was very pleased to read your thoughts on the White Swan and Shamian Island. It spoke clearly to my own crabby-mid-western-liberal sense of right and wrong...or propriety...or whatever. (At the same time, you can bet I'll be looking to book a room at the Swan next time I'm in Guangzhou. 'Cause, hey, in a world with no passable public restroom experiences, who can argue with a hot tub, a waterfall, and a decent breakfast buffet.

    ReplyDelete