Friday, June 8, 2012

Living Large in Pu Jersey

We live in the part of Shanghai called Pudong.  I've often described it as the Queens of Shanghai, but it was recently brought to my attention that it's known in some circles as Pu Jersey.  I like that, even though I don't think it was meant as a compliment.  And I like Pu Jersey.  I've spent enough time in other parts of the city to know that there are certainly hipper areas.  Certainly more expat-y areas and more regular Chinese areas.  But I like it here.  We have trees, less traffic (believe it or not), and stores where we can buy eels and stores where we can buy Doritos.  And stores where we can buy both of those things.

Here are some photos of our adventures in the big Pu:

Here's a good example of a Chinese kids meal.  Mayo covered mixed veggies, dumplings, and panda or bear shaped bun.

China Pavilion from when Shanghai hosted the 2010 World Expo.
Boxing pandas?

One of our favorite places in Pudong -- the Shanghai Museum of Science and Technology.  And the cool racetrack there.

My parents bought Eli a car for the track when they visited.  We saved it for the right time and surprised him with it.




Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!

You can ride these in Pudong.

Sometimes it's hard to pedal and you need a push.  It's not a pretty job...
So all in all, we're enjoying our stay in Pudong.  We have our ups and downs, and unfortunately, we all have them on different days so there always seems to be some emotional wildfire to deal with (but according to The Family Sabbatical Handbook that my friend Michele sent me, we're right on schedule for adjustment, or rather maladjustment :)). But for a family from the sticks of Vermont, we're enjoying walking around the corner to engineering class, and taking the metro to jazz band practice, and eating lychee nuts and yumberries and mangos, and oh the dumplings.  We love the dumplings.  All right here in Pu Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment